Jan has been a full time executive coach, coaching consultant and facilitator since 2006.
Before becoming a coach, Jan was a senior member of the Government Standards Unit, responsible for leadership and development of the national coaching strategy and policy for the Standards Unit. Previously, she was Director of Teaching and Learning in a large FE college, a post-16 Ofsted Inspector, and Quality Improvement Consultant working with colleges, local authorities and partnerships, building capability for leadership and innovation.
She has extensive experience across many different sectors. Her clients include CEOs and senior directors; programme managers, front line managers of services and functions; executive and non-executive directors in large complex organisations.
Her expertise in leadership and systems coaching includes:
- Supporting senior people to lead transformational change
- Enabling leaders to have maximum impact
- Helping leaders gain clarity about strategy, purpose and direction
- Helping leaders develop new thinking and solutions
- Supporting Teams to increase levels of positivity and productivity
She is also an experienced facilitator of coach education across sectors, leading workshops and programmes to train hundreds of people in coaching approaches and techniques.
Jan works with clients in a bespoke, collaborative way – creating a safe space to support each client’s agenda. She helps people gain new perspectives and insights, learning in and from practice, using their own strengths. She uses a range of techniques including appreciative inquiry; experiential and action learning; powerful questioning and deep listening, and 360 degree feedback tools.
- Professional Certified Coach (ICF)
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CTI)
- Certified Organisational, Relationship Systems and Coach (CRR Global)
- Certified Immunity to Change Facilitator (Kegan & Lahey)
- Certified Practitioner MBTI Step I and Step II – (CAPT 2009)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (University Newcastle upon Tyne)
- BA English & History (University of Northumbria)
Jan has also been a Fellow of the RSA since 2007
‘Jan is an amazing individual, if you have the opportunity to work with Jan grab it with both hands and don’t let go.’
Gary Groom, Interim Principal, Newcastle College
‘Jan’s highly professional approach manages to capture the balance between a space that is safe and supportive and a space that offers challenge and is solution focused. Jan is always looking for ways to explore and delve under the surface of issues, often using experiential techniques, which help to promote a wider view and encourage different perspectives than might be achieved through traditional techniques.’
Hugh Masters, Associate Chief Nursing Officer, Scottish Government
‘Jan showed great empathy and insight. She took time understanding my issues and personality and building trust. She challenged my ways of thinking and gave me a variety of tools and techniques – often taking me out of my comfort zone, to improve my confidence and presentational skills.’
Florence Lea, Client Relations Director, Child Support Agency